How to setup Consul on one instance
Running Consul on one instance
This installation guide assumes Ubuntu 14.04 OS, tmux and nginx already installed. Follow the below instruction to complete the consul installation.
- Run the following command to download and install consul
Now the consul command should be ready to use
- Download the web-ui of consul in /home/ubuntu/consul-ui/
- Create the file config.json in /home/ubuntu/consul-config/server/ directory and put the following configuration in it. Here P.P.P.P is the private IP of the instance
- Make consul.conf file in /etc/nginx/conf.d/ directory and put the following configurations in it
Change myconsul.com to the the desired domain, save and exit. Restart the nginx server sudo service nginx restart.
- Open a tmux session by running tmux command. Run the following command to start consul
Now, the consul should be running. Leave the process running by running ctrl+b than d. This will leave the tmux session running in which consul process was running.
The web-ui must be running on the public-ip or domain mentioned in the consul.conf file.
Note – If the link to download consul and web-ui doesn’t work (in case of version of consul changed) than visit this page to get the right link.
The video Tutorial